List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: kdebase/kioslave
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-07-09 22:02:42

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Alex Zepeda wrote:

> > I admit that I never knew what gopher was really for, until the day you
> > comitted your slave and I started looking for a nice server to test it :-)
>
> (Perhaps this should be moved to kfm-devel...)

done ;-)

> There are still a few things left to figure out, such as, how to handle
> the uuencoded part.  I don't have any way of testing this, but I figure
> some sort of generic uuencode/decode filter would be a nice thing, but
> I've got no idea where to put it.

Hmmm, I don't know any details about it, but: What about uulib in
kdesupport? Or is this something different?

> The other is, there's a "gopher type" that's specifically for GIFs, which
> is fine because I can set the mimetype there; but then there's another
> type for any image other than GIF.. That leaves the problem of figuring
> out the mimetype.

Isn't it possible to go the KRun way here: Simply let KRun (KfmRun, in
Konqy) pre-get the data and guess it via KMimeType. That's the usual way
of determining the servicetype of a given url, when the user clicked on an
icon in the iconview for example.

Ah, or do you mean: I want to find out about the mimetype, so that the
correct nice icon gets displayed in the icon-view?
Hmmm, don't we have a general image icon, so that the real image type is
determined when tue user clicks on it (the via krun) ?

*clueless* :)

Ciao,
 Simon