List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror: viewName - obsolete?
From:       David Faure <david.faure () insa-lyon ! fr>
Date:       1999-06-09 15:27:31

On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 07:42:19AM +0200, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently we identify views via their "unique" ;) name. In the beginning I
> considered this to be a nice solution, but meanwhile I changed my mind and
> I believe this is more or less obsolete. Associating a view with a
> servicetype looks like better design to me.
> I already implemented this (although it needs some finetuning) .
> It's not a big feature nor anything critical, it's just a smart detail
> IMHO, and makes the viewName stuff obsolete.
>
> Any objections against removing the viewname stuff?
None.

I like the servicetype idea a lot in fact :

when one enters the URL of a directory in the location bar,
* if the current view is an icon view, it simply goes to that URL
* if the current view is a tree view, it simply goes to that URL
(no view mode switching in that case).
Currently, it's the icon view that is opened in both cases.

As both views would be associated with inode/directory, the current
one would be used for displaying a directory.

Very nice ! :)

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org