List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Zone allocator (KHTML)
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1999-06-02 10:19:25

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I'm proud to announce the succcesfull deployment of a Zone allocator
> in KHTML. The Zone allocator allows to allocate all objects used for
> building up a HTML-page in several large (128Kb) blocks of memory.
> The blocks of memory are freed when the HTML-page is destructed,
> not when the indivual objects get destructed.
>
> The advantages are:
> *) No overhead from malloc/new. This saves about 10% for large pages.
> *) The blocks are (at least under Linux 2.2.x) returned to the OS
> when the page is destructed. This is unfortunately not the case with
> traditional memory allocation.
>
> I'm considering to move some support classes for this to kdecore if
> there are more applications who could benefit from this. My question
> is:
>      Do you know/have an application which uses large amounts of
>      objects (e.g. 1000) which have a strongly coupled lifecycle?
>
> These applications might benefit from a Zone allocator. (A newsreader
> perhaps?)

Indeed Krn does this.
It creates up to n objects with perfectly coupled lifecycle, where each
one represents a message in a newsgroup.

> I am also interested to learn about applications that use a large
> number of objects of the _same_ class without necesarrily a strongly
> coupled lifecycle.

Well, krn does that too :-)

> I would like to thank Steffen Hansen and Robert Schöftner for providing
> me with good ideas.
>
> Cheers,
> Waldo
> --
> KDE, A New Millenium, A New Desktop                      http://www.kde.org

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
An opinion you can't give reasons for is not an opinion worth having (I)