List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    imr <-> registry - how to sync easily?
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-05-29 13:58:06

Hi,

I'd like to implement a special functionality in the KActivator in kded,
but I'm a little bit clueless (once again) . So that's why I post here in
kfm-devel (and cc'ing to Steffen, in case he's not subscribed) to ask for
opinions/help.

The idea is:
I'm not very happy with the current way CORBA services are
registered/handled by the activator/imr. Currently we have to
register/unregister all services "manually" . But in somehow I don't like
this. I'd prefer something else:
Wouldn't it be nice if the imr would be automatically always in sync with
the services (only the CORBA services of course) in the registry?
KRegistry keeps itself "up-to-date" with KDirWatch, so that the trader for
example always "acts" on the latest, up-to-date registry and so that the
client app doesn't have to deal with registering/unregistering of
services/servicetypes .
I'd like to see similar things with the CORBA services, which have to be
registered at the IMR in order to be able to use them.
Originally I thought of modifying KRegistry to emit a signal about
KRegEntry changes (deletions, additions) , but this would leave us with
the problem of associating an KRegEntry with KService or KServiceType. In
fact we are only interested in KService, in order to keep the IMR
up-to-date (looking only for KService changes, and using from these
KService changes only the CORBA services) .

Possible solution: Modify KRegEntry to return a kind of "typecode" to
determine which kind of data it "holds" (service or servicetype) .

But can this considered to be a more or less clean solution?
Does anybody have a good solution available?
Comments?
Suggestions?

Please help :-)

Ciao,