List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KFM Patch Collection Page
From:       Nicolas Brodu <brodu () iie ! cnam ! fr>
Date:       1999-05-20 23:06:41

On Fri, 21 May 1999, David Faure wrote :
>On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 12:22:34AM +0200, Nicolas Brodu wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 May 1999, Dawit Alemayehu wrote :
>> >
>> >P.S.  To get CVS access, you asked me to supply you with username and
>> >        an encrypted password.  I have a stupid question, as I have not done
>> >        it before,  what would I use to generate the encrypted password ??? ;-)
>>
>> You can either :
>>
>> . change your password using passwd
>> . look at /etc/passwd, copy the encrypted form
>> . don't forget to revert to your original password with passwd !
>> But shadow or NIS can trouble this.
>>
>> Or take the output of :
>>
>> $ perl -e 'print crypt "<password>", "<salt>"; print "\n";'
>>
>> where <salt> is two random caracters.
>
>Great, I learned something today !
>Merci :)

You're welcome, I didn't know it myself before reading it in a FAQ :-)

>> BTW, I could probably patch KFM to support SMB, (even begun to do it some
>> time ago) but I wonder if this is really worth it, now that I can work
>> on KDE 2.
>>
>> Opinion ?
>My opinion is that it isn't worth it.
>The patches are there to fix bugs.
>
>If you start implementing features, then you'll have to maintain the patches
>for it, and have patches to fix bugs in the patches, ... this is awful to maintain.
>And wasted time. Better focus on KDE 2.
>
>Everybody says KDE 2 is for a long time in the future, but if we all work on it, it won't
>be that long before it's ready.
>And 1.9 (no idea why Waldo named it 1.89 :)) is the way to get this code out
>even before it's not as much stable as 1.1.1.
>So brave users will be able to test it :)

That's the best way to do it of course.
Maybe we should release a 1.889 for even braver users (just joking) !

Nicolas Brodu, brodu@iie.cnam.fr
Eleve-Ingenieur 2eme annee (Institut d'Informatique d'Entreprise)
  http://www-eleves.iie.cnam.fr/brodu (smblib)
KDE developer, brodu@kde.org
  http://www.kde.org, Color outside the lines !