List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KFM Patch Collection Page
From:       David Faure <faure () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-20 22:40:25

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 12:22:34AM +0200, Nicolas Brodu wrote:
> On Thu, 20 May 1999, Dawit Alemayehu wrote :
> >
> >P.S.  To get CVS access, you asked me to supply you with username and
> >        an encrypted password.  I have a stupid question, as I have not done
> >        it before,  what would I use to generate the encrypted password ??? ;-)
>
> You can either :
>
> . change your password using passwd
> . look at /etc/passwd, copy the encrypted form
> . don't forget to revert to your original password with passwd !
> But shadow or NIS can trouble this.
>
> Or take the output of :
>
> $ perl -e 'print crypt "<password>", "<salt>"; print "\n";'
>
> where <salt> is two random caracters.

Great, I learned something today !
Merci :)

> BTW, I could probably patch KFM to support SMB, (even begun to do it some
> time ago) but I wonder if this is really worth it, now that I can work
> on KDE 2.
>
> Opinion ?
My opinion is that it isn't worth it.
The patches are there to fix bugs.

If you start implementing features, then you'll have to maintain the patches
for it, and have patches to fix bugs in the patches, ... this is awful to maintain.
And wasted time. Better focus on KDE 2.

Everybody says KDE 2 is for a long time in the future, but if we all work on it, it won't
be that long before it's ready.
And 1.9 (no idea why Waldo named it 1.89 :)) is the way to get this code out
even before it's not as much stable as 1.1.1.
So brave users will be able to test it :)

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org