List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KHTMLWidget vs Raptor ?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-05-20 7:29:18

John McNulty wrote:

> Hi Waldo,
>
> This is just me being curious here (not any kind of
> critisism).  I've been keeping an eye on how Mozilla
> has been progressing, as I'm sure lots of others do,
> and I got to wondering why the KDE developers are
> continuing to develop KHTML when  the Mozilla rendering
> engine is close to completion.  Has anyone discussed
> ripping this out of Mozilla and dropping it into KDE?
> After all, when it's done it will support HTML 4.0, CSS,
> DOM and XML, which AFAIK is beyond the scope of KHTML.
>
> It just strikes me that it would be a good idea to
> leaverage  the work of the Mozilla folk to give KDE
> a leg up on  the HTML front.
>
> Am I being grossly over simplistic though?

Hi John,

Actually this option is being discussed every two months :-)
The main problem is that nobody has done it yet. I have
been quite skeptical about it in the beginning but I've
heared a lot of good things about the mozilla engine
ever since so if I had the time I would consider it doing
myself. Unfortunately I don't expect to have much time
in the near future.

Another problem could be the mozzila license which isn't
compatible with the (L)GPL. (Has there been any changes
in the mozilla licensing to address this, that you know of?)

Cheers,
Waldo