List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: using unicode in khtml
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       1999-05-13 23:51:08

Lars Knoll wrote:

> Another problem is how to change the tokenizer, parser and the HtmlObjects
> to use QChars/QStrings. After a first glance it seems to me, that it would
> perhaps be the best to do a rewrite of the tokenizer, the parser would
> need some bigger changes, and the HTMLObjects could get away with some
> minor modifications.

Just to inform you: I've just played with a similar project. Writing
some XML parsing stuff. Using QChars/QStrings seems to be quite easy for
now. I am not sure about the performance yet but it seems as if the
compiler can optimize the code very well.

> Since I don't want to make khtml unusuable for you (it'll take a while to
> make all this work), I was thinking about putting all these changes into a
> seperate branch of the CVS, and only merge them back, when they are
> usuable again.
>
> What do you think?

I am not sure how many people would be working on this separate branch.
You might consider to go right into the HEAD branch after you have
produced the first steps at home. Would be hurting the others (konqueror
developers mostly I guess) very much if khtml would be ... aeehhh ...
slightly broken for a certain period of time ?

Harri.