List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: kio_smb in progress...
From:       Alex Zepeda <garbanzo () hooked ! net>
Date:       1999-05-09 2:17:17

On Sun, 9 May 1999, Nicolas Brodu wrote:

> Of course, it doesn't broadcast throught routers ;-) !!!

*grin* I completely forgot about this.

> You have to compile it with DNSQUERY defined, which was in
> the original configure.in but was dropped when included in kdesupport.
[..]
> The 'fast' option disables some tests, assuming that smb servers should
> always be trusted and never crash...

Assumptions are the mother of all screwups ;)

> A few things about DNS lookup :
> . When using DNS, I increased the timout for detecting 'host not present', so it
> can slow down things with bad smb servers.

Is this adjustable?  Having a working DNS setup is almost a given, and I'd
sure like to see this to try DNS first (esp. because I have the hostname
set in /etc/hosts).

> . DNS and NetBIOS names must be the same. Samba's smbclient solve the
> problem by specifying NetBIOS name + ip on the command line. I could
> do the same, but what about urls then ?

This requirement is quite sane.  If they have a netbios name set
differently than the hostname, either add something in /etc/hosts, or add
a Samba "alias" (swat makes this very easy to do).

> . Your default browse server must be able to see through the router,
> or to be itself on the other side.

What exactly does this mean?  Right now I think I have browse master set
to off, and I'm not quite sure how any of the other computers are setup.

> About kio_smb :
> . You can specify smb:/ so as to get the workgroup list. I spent quite
> a few hours looking for the reason why smb:// isn't accepted (even
> when hacking KURL) and still this dialog box saying 'smb:' isn't valid
> (dropping '//') hangs around.
> . The callback that should display a dialog box for user/password
> isn't implemented yet. So for now it's only possible to do anonymous
> browsing.

This is fine, because I have an anonymous share setup already (I think).
If nothing else, I'll add one, and/or this can test to see what happens
when you don't have the correct password.

- alex