List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    AVFS: A Virtual File System
From:       Miklos.Szeredi () eth ! ericsson ! se (Miklos Szeredi)
Date:       1999-04-29 14:32:21

Hi!

I'm not a KDE developer (although a KDE user), and I am not very
familiar with the internals of KDE. So this may or may not be very
apropriate here.

AVFS is a library which allows access to the insides of archives (tar,
gz, zip, etc.). It can be preloaded by the dinamic linker, so every
program can access these virtual files without having to modify or
recompile them. But I'm also planning to create a normal library with
the same functionality.

AVFS has a very modular structure, so a new file handler "plugin" can
be added without needing to recompile the base library.

KFM has already support for tar, gzip etc., so I thought, maybe this
could be integrated with AVFS. Is this a good idea?

You can get AVFS from:
     http://www.inf.bme.hu/~mszeredi/avfs/avfs.html

Miklos