List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Patches against KFM for omitting *~ files
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       1999-04-17 4:52:22

Hi Joel

Sorry for answering so late. I forward your patch to the kfm developers. I
personally think that a better way to handle this issue is to build a
general configuration routine which will allow to implement custom
filters (based on regular expressions), with configurable
temporarity/permanence on a per-directory basis.

Because the patch was too big to send to the list, I put it into a file
and uploaded it to ftp.kde.org

JoelH_kfm_no_backups.patch

Cristian Tibirna     : ctibirna@total.net     : www.total.net/~ctibirna
PhD Student          : ctibirna@gch.ulaval.ca : web.gch.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna
KDE contact - Canada :  tibirna@kde.org       : www.kde.org

On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:

> I use Emacs a lot, and save many backups, so I have in my home
> directory a 3:1 backup file to normal file ratio.  I find it most
> annoying to see all these backup files while I'm working.  So, I added
> an option to kfm to omit them.
>
> Enclosed are patches against kfm from kdebase-1.1.  However, that this
> is my first day with KDE, and these patches have been tested all of
> twice!  You will probably want to get an experienced KDE developer to
> review these patches prior to inclusion!
>
> I am planning on generalizing this facility.  With GNU ls and Emacs's
> Dired-X modes, it is possible to omit arbitrary regexps from file
> listings.  Dired-X also has a list of extentions to be omitted.  This
> is so that LaTeX developers don't need to see all the LaTeX caches, C
> developers don't need to see lots of .o files, etc, etc, and generally
> people can get on with their work.  I would like to add this sort of
> functionality to kfm, but am presently unsure about how to go about it
> in a manner that would best fit in with KDE's look and feel, and ease
> of use.  Could some kind KDE-wise developer contact me to discuss
> ideas on how to best go about this?
>
> Happy hacking,
> Joel Ray Holveck

Please, find the patch at

ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/JoelH_kfm_no_backups.patch