List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Save as ( was Re: popup menus )
From:       Matt Koss <koss () napri ! sk>
Date:       1999-04-16 17:59:49

On Pi, 16 apr 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>Waldo Bastian (bastian@ens.ascom.ch) spake thusly:
>> > It would be nice to have two indicators: one indicating how far the
>> > main document has loaded, the other indicating how much of the
>> > "secondary"
>> > objects have been loaded (most notably images).
>
>Jo Dillon wrote:
>>   I quite liked the progress indicators in HotJava - a line for each
>> file, which each line colour-coded according to the type of file
>> (html,image etc). Of course then you have a screen real-estate problem;
>> HotJava's solution of making the lines one pixel high made it a bit hard
>> to figure out what was going on.
>
>I would still prefer two indicators. However, the one showing the images
>could be made sort of the HotJava one: Having a rectangular which has
>horizontal lines for files, the length of the line indicating the
>progress
>per file. I would make the width of the line depending on the number of
>files so that the rectangular always has the same size. When the
>rectangle
>is completely filled everything is there. (You can write "Done" in it.)
>
>I would not use different colors, I think that makes it too messy.
>
>Interesting problem occurs when you have more files to load than you
>have
>vertical pixels in your rectangle... :) Then you have two files sharing
>one line of pixels.... perhaps we should use shaded colors in that case.
>Would make an interesting widget..

I suggest that you guys come down on earth :-))

So far statusbar progress widget displays progress in two ways, between which
the user can switch with a single mouse click.
First way shows a regular progress bar, second way shows speed and remaining
time.
I guess that we could add another display showing progress in files.
All three displays would be then circulated with a single click.

All this could be displayed at once in the statusbar ( as Caitoo does it ), but
that would take a lot of space in the statusbar, that's why I think that
circulation is a must.

Regards

		Matt

--