List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: caitoo - konqy
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-04-15 12:42:20

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999 weis@stud.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:
>

> > One thing I forgot to mention:
> > I could also think of an additional kind of plugin, similar to the KOffice
> > plugins.
> >
> > Perhaps with one difference: *Bar Entries are created/defined at
> > run-time, via the plugin's interface, in contrary to the koffice way,
> > where these entries are specified in the plugin's .kdelnk.
> >
> > On the one hand the koffice way is nice because the plugin are only loaded
> > when necessary/used.
> >
> > On the other hand specifing the *bar entries at run-time might be useful
> > as well.
> >
> > Perhaps it makes sense to implement both?
> >
> > Comments / Suggestions / Ideas ?
>
> Doing it at runtime is the best in theory, but I realized
> that starting plugins takes some time. Look at photoshop starting
> with many plugins. Whatever they do, I dont know, but it takes too
> long.

Definitely. It's also "critical" in regard to the fact that loaded plugins
eat memory, even if they're not used.

> That is the reason why I do it different in KOffice.
>
> However, I realized in the meantime, that some plugins want
> to change ( enable/disable ) their buttons as events come in.
> So they need to be running from the very beginning.
>
> I think there i no way around making both work.

Yes, both at the same time would be the best, but I'm not sure how to wrap
this into a nice interface, so that writing plugins does not mean
duplicate work in regard to specifying all gui elements (toolbar buttons,
etc.) twice, once in the .kdelnk and once in the code itself (for
modification) .

Ideas?

> Bye
> Torben