List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: popup menus
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-04-14 15:27:28

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Matt Koss wrote:

> On Ne, 11 apr 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> >Ok, well, we already discussed this on #kde, but here I can reply a little
> >more detailed about what I think about the popup menus.
> >
> >Perhaps one additional entry:
> >In case of http/ftp/other_protocols?perhaps_smb? I'd like to see a "save
> >document/url/or_whatever_it_is" ("save as...") entry.
> >
> >But when this is in libkio it requires that either
> >a) the data is available via the ioslaves
> >or
> >b) the popupmenu-caller handles this (the transfer)
> >
> >I like b) more. Perhaps we could just "tell" the caller "Hey, there will
> >be a save-as entry in the menu, make sure you can handle this" and the
> >caller can accept/reject the creation of the menu entry?
> >
> >( b) would also enable us to use Caitoo for the transfer in Konqueror)
> >

> We should make a distinction between a.) "Save as "  and  b.) "Save link as"
>
> a.) is meant for stuff that we are already viewing in konqy, like source of
>      HTML page or some picture on this page.
>      This function should then manipulate with cache and not do any transfer.
>
> b.) this is a well known function from e.g. netscape and it should start the
>     transfer in konqy ( either start a slave or ask caitoo for doing it )
>
> I am not saying that these two function could not be merged together into one
> "Save as" method.
> But IMO it would be probably good idea to keep these two separate.

Hm, netscape goes like this, if I remember this correctly:
In both cases, a) and b) , the well known netscape-download dialog pops
up, and in both cases a cached version of the document/image/object is
used, if available.

Or am I wrong?

Nevertheless I think your distinction makes sense in somehow. Maybe you
have a nice idea how to implement it?

> Regards
>
> 		Matt

Ciao,
  Simon

P.S.: I finished (more or less ;) ) the CORBA based transfer stuff in
      Caitoo, so it should work now for HTML documents in Konqy. But you
      have to either uncomment one line in konq_mainview.cc in order to
      fire up Caitoo on konqy startup or to start Caitoo after Konqy.

P.P.S.: This is obviously just the core functionality. As you showed
        above, we need to finetune the approach. I think this includes
        moving the stuff in konq_htmlview perhaps somewhere into
        KonqMainView.

--
Simon Hausmann       <hausmann@kde.org>
http://www.kde.org/  <tronical@gmx.net>