List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: popup menus
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-04-12 5:57:59

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Simon Hausmann  wrote:

>Ok, well, we already discussed this on #kde, but here I can reply a little
>more detailed about what I think about the popup menus.

I also feel that I have the need to interject a couple of things here as well.

>> I'm thinking a lot about the popup menus right now.
>>
>> First, I was wrong about the "it's object-oriented, let's handle them inKonq*View."
>> It's wrong, because we want the same popup menus if we are in a tree view,
>> an icon view, and on the desktop. >>
>> This last point, the fact that kdesktop needs them too, would make me put
>> them in libkio. Not only the menus (this is quote nothing), but the
>> functionalities that come with it :
>>
>> * open with, properties, open with a service (all this is already in libkio)
>> * cut, copy, delete, send to trash (to be put there too)
>> * paste (is already there and not used, kio_paste)
>> * 'New' submenu (moving and renaming kfmpopup.*)

>Ok, these four entries should be easy with libkio's capabilites.

I have a minor change to suggest here.  What about providing ( I am
working on making this available for kfm as well but not as part of 1.1.1 since
it is a feature enhancement ) a generic sendTo instead i.e the entry will be
SendTo -> and a submenu will drop for you to select from things such as
TrashBin, New Location, Email Address ( as an attachment ) etc...

We can even go further and think of making it configurable so that others
could easily extend this option on the fly.  What I am trying to say here is
that some of the entries that require complex actions such as TrashBin, New
Location can be hard-coded, but we can then read entries in main and user's
kfmrc for other options ( I do not know if something can be done in CORBA for
this - know very very little about  CORBA right now ) for those actions that
just require the URL. JUST AS AN EXAMPLE we can have an entry in main/user
kfmrc as follows :

[ KFM SEND TO ]
email = "Email Address", "kmail -attach %u", "pixmap"

This will enable user to send the currently selected file/files as an email
attachment !  Note that this is purely hypothetical example ...  What do you
think ?

>> * New view (already there)
>Perhaps "New view" makes only sense in a Konqueror View/Window, I'm not
>sure about this. (new view in kdesktop?)

You are right !! New view in desktop does not make sense at all.   It should be
only applicable in konqueror when used as file manager and web browser.  Even
then the entry should say "Open in New Window" or "Clone Window" to make it as
clear to the user as possible.  IMHO, "New View" can possibly have many
interpretations to different people.

> * empty trash (todo ?)

I think this is also a libkio thing. Maybe it's sufficient to compare the
related url with UserPaths::trashPath() and the create an KIOJob for this.

>> * up, back, forward : this is konqy specific. Will remain in konqy (adding
>> items to the popup menu after it has been created by libkio)
>> * add bookmark (should be easy, create KBookmark, or konqy-only as well)
>> * save local properties (konqy specific as well)
>>
>> ok, I think I got it all :)

>Perhaps one additional entry:
>In case of http/ftp/other_protocols?perhaps_smb? I'd like to see a "save
>document/url/or_whatever_it_is" ("save as...") entry.

[Off-topic] I do not know how this can be implemented in konquerer as I have yet
to switch to the HEAD CVS.  But I am working on providing this for the current
kfm ( 1_1 BRANCH)

Oh and one last thing.  I know this is probably resolved in konquerer as David
is aware of it, but just the same I will mention it here.  There is code duplication
in the current kfm when it comes to popup menus.  The current design have duplicate
SlotCopy, SlotMove, SlotMoveToTrash, SlotDelete member functions for the menu
items under the Edit-> and the same items under the popup menus.  This was not
really necessary at all.  I  am cleaning this up but am afraid it will not make it into
the KDE 1.1.1.

Greetings,
Dawit A.