List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    popup menus
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-04-11 17:29:47

I'm thinking a lot about the popup menus right now.

First, I was wrong about the "it's object-oriented, let's handle them in Konq*View."
It's wrong, because we want the same popup menus if we are in a tree view,
an icon view, and on the desktop.

This last point, the fact that kdesktop needs them too, would make me put
them in libkio. Not only the menus (this is quote nothing), but the
functionalities that come with it :

* open with, properties, open with a service (all this is already in libkio)
* cut, copy, delete, send to trash (to be put there too)
* paste (is already there and not used, kio_paste)
* 'New' submenu (moving and renaming kfmpopup.*)
* New view (already there)
* empty trash (todo ?)
* up, back, forward : this is konqy specific. Will remain in konqy (adding
items to the popup menu after it has been created by libkio)
* add bookmark (should be easy, create KBookmark, or konqy-only as well)
* save local properties (konqy specific as well)

ok, I think I got it all :)

This looks really nice, BUT (there is always a "but") :

For konqueror views to be embedded somewhere else (e.g. in kohtml)
doesn't the popup menu need to be an OPMenu ???
In that case, all the functionalities above can go in libkio, but NOT the
popup menu creation itself !

Or is it ok if we use normal (Qt) popup menus ?
I'm not sure if/why we need OPMenus for that.

Thanks for fast answer !
I implement this as soon as I know about it :)

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org