List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: new desktop metapher?
From:       Matthias Elter <me () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-04-06 8:54:52

On Fri, 02 Apr 1999, Michael Reiher wrote:
> Matthias Elter wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 01 Apr 1999, Martin Konold wrote:
> > > Well having two aplications (kfm and kdehelp) has only histrical reasons.
> > > We wanted to get rid of them with KDE-2.0 anyway. The main reason was that
> > > we wanted to get a stable kdehelp fast for KDE-1.0
> >
> > Do you still think that the functionality should be integrated in one app? IMHO
> > this is a very bad idea because in that case we would have to choose between a
> > very bloated konqy with great help functionality or a smaller konqy with bad
> > help functionality. There are currently no plans to merge khelpcenter and konqy.
> > khelpcenter is going to provide a konqy-view interface but thats it. I don't
> > understand the logic behind a do-everything-in-one-place app. But I am open
> > for suggestions.
> Well, Konqueror is a browser and manager. Currently only for files an
> web. But I think it is good to use it not only for that, but also for
> other stuff that can be browsed/managed. This way the user gets a common
> framework for everything s/he browses, with only slight modifications
> and a bit additional functionallaty depending on the current mode. And
> common look and feel for applications for similar purposes(e.g. all
> kinds of browsing) is IMO very valuable in regard of application
> handling.
> Each mode supplies a button for a mode selector, like in Netscape (the
> bar on bottom right). Additionally also an own top node in the tree. A
> good thing would also be a default view layout for each mode. So if you
> click the HelpCenter node in the tree or it's button in the mode
> selector Konqy switches to that mode(or open a new window). The mode is
> indicated by a change of the programm icon.
> Modes I can think of right now are: File/Ftp mode, Web mode, HelpCenter
> mode, Mail mode, News mode and maybe a time planner mode.
> Stuff like graphics apps(except previewing), IDEs, office apps or the
> like of course deosn't belong into Konqy
> Well, that my personal opinion, others may think different;)
>
> For the bloat: If I'm right, the stuff embedded from other applications
> is loaded only on demand. And then it doesn't matter a Konqy and a
> KHelpCenter at the same time or both combined.

Sorry Michael, you got me wrong on this. I did not criticize konqy and the
konqy-view system. IMHO the konqy design is great and as I mentioned in my
original mail I'm going to add a konqy-view interface to khelpcenter. What IMO
would be a bad idea is to merge konqy and khelpcenter into one big app.

Greetings,
Matthia