List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: new desktop metapher?
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-04-02 17:58:45

Matthias Elter wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Apr 1999, Martin Konold wrote:
> > Well having two aplications (kfm and kdehelp) has only histrical reasons.
> > We wanted to get rid of them with KDE-2.0 anyway. The main reason was that
> > we wanted to get a stable kdehelp fast for KDE-1.0
>
> Do you still think that the functionality should be integrated in one app? IMHO
> this is a very bad idea because in that case we would have to choose between a
> very bloated konqy with great help functionality or a smaller konqy with bad
> help functionality. There are currently no plans to merge khelpcenter and konqy.
> khelpcenter is going to provide a konqy-view interface but thats it. I don't
> understand the logic behind a do-everything-in-one-place app. But I am open
> for suggestions.
Well, Konqueror is a browser and manager. Currently only for files an
web. But I think it is good to use it not only for that, but also for
other stuff that can be browsed/managed. This way the user gets a common
framework for everything s/he browses, with only slight modifications
and a bit additional functionallaty depending on the current mode. And
common look and feel for applications for similar purposes(e.g. all
kinds of browsing) is IMO very valuable in regard of application
handling.
Each mode supplies a button for a mode selector, like in Netscape (the
bar on bottom right). Additionally also an own top node in the tree. A
good thing would also be a default view layout for each mode. So if you
click the HelpCenter node in the tree or it's button in the mode
selector Konqy switches to that mode(or open a new window). The mode is
indicated by a change of the programm icon.
Modes I can think of right now are: File/Ftp mode, Web mode, HelpCenter
mode, Mail mode, News mode and maybe a time planner mode.
Stuff like graphics apps(except previewing), IDEs, office apps or the
like of course deosn't belong into Konqy
Well, that my personal opinion, others may think different;)

For the bloat: If I'm right, the stuff embedded from other applications
is loaded only on demand. And then it doesn't matter a Konqy and a
KHelpCenter at the same time or both combined.

> Greetings,
> Matthias

MfG

Michael