List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    new desktop metapher?
From:       Martin Konold <konold () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-03-31 22:20:28

Dear David,

I am rather impressed with your progress. But please I do somewhat get the
impression that this konquerer develops to a complete desktop within a
desktop. What  are the advantages of MDI views compared to multiple
instances of konquerer windows?

Please consider that, due to consistency, people will also expect to be
able to edit the stuff which is currently only displayed (after all it is
a browser and NOT an editor/desktop).

So I really think that we should talk more about the implication of this
new design. I currently think that the benefit is rather marginal compared
to the loss of consistency.

IMHO the MDI concept was a necessety when interapplication communication
was very difficult/not standardized and full screen apps used to be the
default.

> ftp://sabpc.resi.insa-lyon.fr/incoming/konqueror.gif
> ftp://sabpc.resi.insa-lyon.fr/incoming/konqykview.gif
> ftp://sabpc.resi.insa-lyon.fr/incoming/konqtext.gif

Yours,
-- martin

// Martin Konold, Herrenbergerstr. 14, 72070 Tuebingen, Germany  //
// Email: konold@kde.org                                         //
Anybody who's comfortable using KDE should use it. Anyone who wants to
tell other people what they should be using can go to work for Microsoft.
KDE not only OpenSource[TM] but OpenMinded[TM].
KDE: A stable GUI for a reliable OS.