List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    mail-folder + mail-messages in konqy
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-03-30 18:01:54

Hi,

I just read Waldo's nice DESIGN document once again and I'm thinking about
integrating mail-"browsing" into Konqueror.
>From KMail's side it shouldn't be very hard to do, but from Konqueror's
side (and from the users point of view) I have no real clue how we can do
it. And that's why I'm asking for opinions/suggestions/comments about
the following points:

1) How should the user "tell" Konqy: "Hey, I want to view mails." ?
   By browsing into it's mail directory and clicking on a mail folder
   file? Hm, in somehow I don't like this idea.
   By extending Konqueror's menus/toolbar if a mail browsing plugin is
   available? Perhaps go the netscape way and add something like the mail
   button in the communicator?

2) How should an email view look like and how should it be selected?
   Idea: For plain messages it's just a htmlized reader view (like in
   KMail), for folders it's a combination of a tablistbox containing the
   headers of all messages plus a reader widget (all being part of one
   single view) . And perhaps a third, kmail-all-in-one view?
   But then the problem remains: How do we select one of those view modes?
   How does the user tell: "Hey, I want to view one message", "Give me
   all msg's in that folder" or "Ah, I want to see all my mail stuff" ?

3) Citing Waldo: "I think we should keep Konqueror a "browser": You can
   browse with it, and look at things. But when you want to _DO_ things,
   you will need a full-fledged application."
   Do we want to break this rule in case of an email viewer and make the
   email view a Real(tm) thing, which in somehow makes sense in case of
   mail-msgs/news-articles.

...lots of decisions, time for a new killer-thread ;)
(but since we now have a "GUI-Decision-Master" it might be easier for
solve)

Greetings,
 Simon