Hi, On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Michael Reiher wrote: > Torben Weis wrote: > > > > Hi, > > > > I worked some hours on tghis nice widgets. > > > > The good news first: > > > > It can now handle icons at any position. That is useful if someone drops > > icons. They should appear where they were dropped instead of popping up > > somewhere in alphabetical order. > Iīm not sure if I like that. Because if youīre looking for a file, you > do it following the alphabetical order. But if you have many files in > this directory you wonīt find the file because it sits somwhere else, > where you dropped it. So one would have to do a manual reordering, e.g. > hitting Reload, each time. A single click in the menu and everything is sorted again. > And btw I always liked it that the desktop icons were automatically > pressed into the grid. In Win9x you always have to do that manually by > selecting "Align to grid"(or what ever it is called in english). > Or am I getting something wrong here? As every feature: Just turn it off :-) > > > > During DnD you see a drag shadow. You know that from Win95. It draws a > > wire frame to show how much space icons would consume and where they > > woul appear. That even works when DnD stuff from Konqueror to kdesktop > > or the oter way round and in contrast to Windows we dont get > > clipping errors. > Thatīs cool! > > > > > The bad news: > > > > When kiconcontainer gets a drop of icons then it wants to position them > > where dropped. If the icons where just moved in the same window then > > kiconcontainer handles that on its own. > > > > if it is a drag from another windows then it will somehow emit some > > signal telling Konqueror that a set of URLs has been dropped and it will > > tell the icon positions for the URLs. > > > > Konqueror will now start Copying/Moving whatever. As Konqueror updates its > > view it has to remember that the new files have to be displayed at certain > > positions. > > > > We do have two ways here: > > a) Konqueror starts copying and displays the new icons as the files are > > copied. Then Konqueror has to remember where to show them ( the position I > > mean ) > > b) We show all dropped icons at once and start copying then. If not all > > files could be copied ( IO failure ) we have to remove all icons which > > do not have a corresponding file due to the IO error. > > > > What do you prefer ? What would the user like most ? > Wouldnīt it be possible to take care of the copying/moving in the target > view? I mean the target view has to get to know the possitions of the > icons anyway. It could then initiate the transfer itself. It paints the > icon for a URL as soon as itīs copying is finished. There would be no > need to push the possition information around, and it should > automatically also work if a view is embedded somewhere. > I just wonder if you already intended to do it the same way? But you > always talk about "Konqueror does..."?! What you described is a). b) makes coding konqueror easier, but I think a) is better. > > > > Depending on this decision I have to specify a API for kiconcontainer. > > > > The other bad thing: KIconContainer does not perform too well with > > 5000 icons or more in it. YES: People have so many files in > > directories. I KNOW: It is stupid to do so :-) > > However, Warwick suggested to use the technology of the upcoming QCanvas > > and that is QwSpriteField. It is a highly optimized canvas already and I > > am going to use it. Unfortunately that will cost me some additional time > > but we will have the fastest icon view around. You could even start > > playing asteroids with the icons :-) > Well, I would actually call that Good News:) :-) Bye Torben > > > > Bye > > Torben > > Michael > >