List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KMultiPanner
From:       Matthias Welk <welk () fokus ! gmd ! de>
Date:       1999-03-25 13:51:59

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, David Faure wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 11:54:07AM +0100, Matthias Welk wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, David Faure wrote:
>> >After fighting some more with QSplitter, I have another thought about KMultiPanner...
>> >;)

>> >My English is very bad. What's rubber band ?
>> >

>> I took the word from the Troll's. I think it's the line that will be drawn if
>> you move the splitter-handle.
>
>Ah ok ! That's what I pointed out in my first reaction to KMultiPanner.
>Any chance to fix that ?

I have no clue :-(

>> >I wanted to ask you : is there any way to remove this limitation ?
>>
>> Look at the new version of KMultiPanner at:
>>
>> http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/cats/employees/matthias.welk/private/
>
>Ok, I will, as soon as I find time for it.
>
>> I have made an ugly little hack to get the new widget at the right position.
>> All children of a splitter are stored in a list. If I add a new widget, then it
>> will be inserted at the right position. After this I go through the list and
>> call moveToFirst().
>> Yes I know, it's very ugly, but I could not find any other solution.
>
>Oh, KMultiPanner uses QSplitter ? In this case, I don't see the point
>in using KMultiPanner... It will have the same bugs and shortcomings as
>QSplitter...
>(except for inserting widgets at any position, but you say it's a hack)
>As we don't want the very complicated user interface that you realised was
>necessary for using all features of KMultiPanner, and if KMultiPanner uses
>QSplitter, I still have to be convinced ! :)

You convinced me :) !

>> <Dreaming on>
>> How about a splitter that let's you add new children completely free via a
>> "ghost child" like the toolbar? It docks automatically at possible positions if
>> you move it with the mouse.
>> <Dreaming off>
>
>That would solve the problem of 8 menu entries for adding, I completely agree.
>I like the idea, but I see some problems in the way the user would use it :
>a toolbar is already present, you just move it. How would you move a child
>if it doesn't exist yet ? A "add" menu item, that would add the child at
>the bottomright position, and then you move it ? Why not...

There could be two possibilities (like twm does):

1) interactive positioning:
	- user clicks "add" and a new "ghost view" apears under the mouse cursor

2) automatic positioning:
	- new widget is added top top/left and can then be dragged to another
	  position

With the second proposal we have the MDI problem again :-(
The user could think, that he can drag a view out of the konqueror.

>But given the number of views one will have, I find all this really
>complicated for nothing...
>
>OTOH, I have no idea how difficult it is to implement the 'dream' above.

I will think about it.

Greeting, Matthias.
From: Matthias Welk                   voice: +49-30-3463-7272
      GMD Fokus                       fax  : +49-30-3463-8272
      Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 31       email: welk@fokus.gmd.de
      10589 Berlin