List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Memory hole in kfm (was: Re: kfm verschlingt unmengen an Speicher (fwd))
From:       Lars Knoll <knoll () mpi-hd ! mpg ! de>
Date:       1999-03-24 20:22:47

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, David Faure wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 24, 1999 at 04:52:35PM +0100, Torben Weis wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I got an report that KFM lets the XServer grow like stupid.
>>
>> i assume that some pixmaps are stored in the server but never freed.
>> That in turn means it could even be a problem in some khtmlw cache.
>
>Since the 1.1 release, I made kfm use KIconLoader instead of its own
>routines to load pixmaps, in order to let the user (or themes) put icons in
>various directories (as well as future support for hicolor icons).
>
>But that's only 'kbind.cpp' icons, not images got when browsing the web.
>What lib is in charge for caching those, if it's not khtmlw ?
>
>Or do you think that the problem could come from the kbind icons ?

No... I just found the problem (or at least part of it). It's related to my
trueType font server (xfsft). I lately added unicode encodings to it (to play
a bit with the unicode stuff in Qt2.0). After removing all of the iso-10646
encodings from my fonts.dir file the problem is gone.

I'd only like to know what really causes the problem. The thing is, that the
problem does only appear with kfm. Using any other app (including
kmail/kdehelp, which use khtmlw) does not trigger this behaviour. I'm a bit
clueless what could cause this. It might be that kfm for some strange reason
loads fonts with unicode encoding (which would take up quite some space in the
XServer).

Cheers,
Lars