List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Inserting views (was Re: my job list)
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () insa-lyon ! fr>
Date:       1999-03-08 16:47:20

On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 05:25:03PM +0100, David Faure wrote:
> I will right now :
>
> make konqueror use QSplitter (possibly nested, see the examples/splitter/
> demo in Qt) instead of KNewPanner.
> It's a bit simpler than what we thought of, but the philosophy is, as
> always : KISS (Keep It Simple and Stupid) (or the other way round).
> Play a bit with the splitter example, you'll see that one can do lots of
> things with that.
>
> Problem is for the UI (menu items).
> "Add new row below"
> "Add new row above"
> "Add view (left)"
> "Add view (right)"
> ... this would mean each new view would show $HOME, for instance...
> Whereas something like "split view" is better because it allows two views
> of the same dir easily (for moving a bit in one, and then dragging and dropping)
> Anyway, I'll start with the core stuff, the data storage and the widgets.

The IDL I propose is

  typedef enum { above, below, left, right } NewViewPosition;

  interface MainView : OpenParts::Part
  {
    // Position is relative to activeView(); above and below create a new row
    void insertView( in View view, in NewViewPosition newViewPosition);

In fact, the UI can be anything with that...
And if somebody write a KMultiPanner, the IDL can almost remain unchanged,
hopefully.

--
David FAURE
david.faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org