List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: OpenURL event (was Re: kdebase/konqueror)
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-03-01 14:36:54

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, David Faure wrote:
>On Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 06:14:42PM +0100, David Faure wrote:
>> * I'm trying to add KonqHTMLView, and I'm finally thinking of a sort-of
>> plugin mechanism :
>> http:/ -> creates HTMLView
>> ftp:/, file:/ -> creates some Kfm*View depending on the mode
>> later, info: and man: would launch a part from kdehelp, and so on.
>> Now, how to do that... Any idea welcome.
>> Will try now some sort of registering to KonqMainView.
>
>... then saw the comment by Simon about chosing an event for openURL...
>HHow do I use it ?

Ok, here's a small explanation about how the mainview and the views communicate:

(1) The View
A view must _not_ know about it's parent, that's why a view sends signals in
order to either give information about it's status or for several requests
(popup menu, open url, etc.) . In addition a view "listens" for "incoming"
events, in particular for the Konqueror::eventOpenURL and for the two GUI
related events. So if an application (or for example the mainview) want's to
control a view it has to a) connect to it's signals
b) emit events to the view
The reason why we choose events for "talking" _TO_ the view is that this way one
can install custom event filters (which is IMHO a very powerful tool) .

(2) The MainView
The mainview now acts just as a kind of "user" of the views:
a) it connects to the view's signals
b) it emits events to the views
And in addition the mainview "listens" for events as well (which it might
receive from a possible "parent" component)

Any questions left? Any suggestions? Ideas how to improve this?
:-)

Greetings,
 Simon

--
Simon Hausmann - Tronical^Colorfast - <tronical@gmx.net> - IRCNet #colorfast

we have joy, we have fun, we have linux on our sun