List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KonqMainView += KonqGUI ; KonqViews
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-02-27 16:53:52

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, rupert THURNER wrote:
>Simon Hausmann wrote:
>> 1) I think in mosts cases when someone (application) wants to use a view
>> component of Konqy ;) he perhaps does not really want a standalone part with
>> its own GUI but instead wants to only embedd it as child part and make heavy
>> use of it's CORBA interface.
>what are typical application cases for the one and the other which leds
>you to this?

Example:
Some guys on koffice@kde.org thought about developing a KOffice HTML Editor.
They actually thought about "collecting" components out of the whole KDE and
bring the together in one application: They thought about taking stuff from
Webmaker, use KFM for displaying HTML code, etc. . Now assuming
s/KFM/Konqueror/ :) this would be a nice example of this concept, right?
They'd just use the htmlview as child part withouth an own GUI (reasonably) and
access the view via it's interface

And OTOH tell me an example where an application wants to embedd only _one_
view type of Konqueror with the standard Konqueror GUI? I think in most cases
an all-in-one view would do it as well, or?

Another argument is the fact that splitting KfmGui+KfmView into two separate
objects KonqGUI and KonqMainView is damn work (in regard to the design and the
communication/interfaces) . I actually didn't expect it to be that hard and I
already tried to do it the last two days but the only thing I encountered were
tons of problems.
But: (seriously) Maybe you (or anyone else?) want to give it a try and
perhaps succeed in doing this in a nice way? Just let me know and I will send
you all code I have already done in this regard (plus konqueror.idl and the
OpenParts patches).

Bye,
 Simon

--
Simon Hausmann - Tronical^Colorfast - <tronical@gmx.net> - IRCNet #colorfast

we have joy, we have fun, we have linux on our sun