List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    KonqMainView += KonqGUI ; KonqViews
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-02-26 15:56:08

Hi,

What would you think of doing the following (hopefully very last) change in the
konqueror design (following David's proposal number one) in regard to the way
we use a common Konqueror GUI and also in regard of how KonqView's should be
embeddable parts:

Currently KonqGUI is a separated object (as IDL interface as well as c++
class). This should originally bring us the advantage that beside the
KonqMainView KonqViews, being full-featured parts, also have the common
Konqueror GUI elements.
Seeing it from the _current_ Konqueror (KFM) this would have resulted in a
kind of split of KfmGui and KfmView : Take some code of KfmGui and put it in a
separated Konqueror GUI implementation (KonqGUI), put the rest into KfmView and
rename it into KonqMainView. Now make KonqGUI "communicate" with KonqMainView
as well as with all KonqViews so that all "share" a common GUI environment.

Now my idea is:
1) Let's take KfmGui, take some code from KfmView and put it into KonqMainView.
2) Erase anything related to KonqGUI from our brains ;-)
3) KonqViews are no more "real" standalone parts buutthh:
4) They remains parts which are only embeddable as child parts
5) They will still have methods in their interface which can be used to create
   view specific GUI elements (for example menu/toolbar entries)

Now you might perhaps ask:
What are the advantages/reasons ?

(...yes, I like enumerated lists ;)
1) I think in mosts cases when someone (application) wants to use a view
component of Konqy ;) he perhaps does not really want a standalone part with
its own GUI but instead wants to only embedd it as child part and make heavy
use of it's CORBA interface.

2) It's much less work! :-]

3) Our big all-in-one baby (KonqMainView) still remains as is (from the
users-point of view)

What do you think?

Ciao,
 Simon (being perhaps known as the always-changes-his-mind-and-never-stays-
        with-one-design/idea guy ;-)

--
Simon Hausmann - Tronical^Colorfast - <tronical@gmx.net> - IRCNet #colorfast

we have joy, we have fun, we have linux on our sun