List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: PartChild(Mode)
From:       Sven Radej <sven () lisa ! exp ! univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-02-19 21:07:52

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:
>[...]
>>Basic thing is that there is a KToolBase base class for tool and menu bar. A
>>KToolBox, will also inherit KToolBase. KToolBox will be floatable container
>>with 2D layout (KToolBar has 1D layout, all items must have same height)
>>Plus XDND support, some sor of transparent-to-developer MDI, QuickAccessBar
>>>from Antonio, etc.
>
>What's this "transparent-to-developer MDI" ? (sounds interesting)
That is "Microsoft system"; Application has only one top window and one or
more sub windows. The main thing is that developer keeps using KTM as he does
now and user decides wether he wants MDI or SDI. For example kmail would have
composer and reader as sub window in top kmail window.
This is low on my priority list; some people strongly object that this is
nonsense, others want it. I would like to keep application programers out of
it to keep desktop consistent; user will decide which apps he wants SDI and
which MDI.
The support for that goes into KTM; if MDI mode is on, the first created KTM
will be top-window and all other application's KTM will be subwindows. Top
window will recreate (or in Qt 2.0 reparent) subwindow and subwindow's *Bars to
itself and switch *Bars as subwindows get/lose focus. Someone already has
needed code for that (I think one of IRC programs).

>QuickAccessBar: When will it be available?
Well, it is Antonio's stuff. I guess he'll start implementing this as soon I get
new *Bars somehow working.

--
Sven Radej     radej@kde.org
KDE developer   Visit http://www.kde.org