List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Bug#718: KFM web browsing and 8bit display
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-02-18 13:12:16

David Faure wrote:

> Anybody knows what we can do about it ? Hello khtmlw hackers ? :)
>
> ----- Forwarded message from "Nikita V. Youshchenko" <yoush@cs.msu.su> -----
>
> Subject: Bug#718: KFM web browsing and 8bit display
> Date:   Wed, 17 Feb 1999 12:39:33 +0300 (MSK)
> From: "Nikita V. Youshchenko" <yoush@cs.msu.su>
> To: submit@bugs.kde.org
>
> Package: kfm
> Version: KDE 1.1
>
> KFM eats the colormap on 8bit display and never returns colors.
> I think that it is a serious bug because kfm runs always on KDE desktop.

There is some code for handling this problem I guess. The question is
why
it is commented out :) Appearantly it didn't work very well...
Does someone know if I can request which colors are in use by an
application?
That would make debugging it a bit easier.

This resource handling problem is a common one btw. We have the same
with
fonts I guess. We should handle this more or less the same as we do with
images: Register when we want to use something, and deregister when we
don't
need it any more. When the registration count reaches zero, the resource
can
be freed.

For colors: We would need to register which page, uses which colors. And
keep track of which color is used how often. These are all khtml issues.

Cheers,
Waldo
http://www.kde.org