List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Properties for several files/dirs : 3-state checkbox ?
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-02-18 3:07:14

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, David Faure wrote:
>Some time ago, Torben suggested that somebody extends the Properties dialog
>boxes to handle several files/dirs at the same time (for instance, to
>change the permissions on a group of files in one click, or change the
>owner, group ... ) (it could also display the total size in bytes)

I would agree with displaying information about size and count ( so many
directories so many files), but do you think it is a good idea to provide the
permissions tab to change ownership and group and access in one shot.  There
are many issues you have to deal with.  For example, how do you plan to deal
with the fact that some of the selected folder and/or files cannot be modified
(ownership and/or permission) by the user ?  Have you tried how NT tries to
achieve this.  I am no expert in NT ( barely use it ) nor GUI design, but IMHO
it is more convoluted to change permissions/ownership with the GUI tool in NT
than it is using chmod/chown tools in *nix.  If you have access to an NT box,
I urge you to try it. However, there was something I liked in the NT setup where
you click on a button to open a new dialog box to setup permissions/ownership.

Cheers,
Dawit A.