List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: kfm and mimetypes
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-02-18 1:45:01

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Teodor Romeo Mihai wrote:
>Hi,
>
>a short issue concerning kfm and mimetypes:
>
>Right now there is no support in kdelibs for finding what applications
>are associated with a certain mimetype; the original design was built
>around kservice, but that is disabled (the code for initializing
>kservices by scanning the kdelnk files, in KService::initStatic() is
>commented out for some reason, even if it would work fine otherwise).
>Therefore kfm seems to be the only choice for running the application
>associated with a mimetype. Is this behaviour definitive?

I think it is, at least for now.  As it is the mime-binding class is located
under kdebase/kfm.  I definitely agree with you in the point that this class
should really be part of the core-library in some shape or form.

>And if so, can kfm handle gracefully situations when a file can be opened by
>more than one application - when it is invoked from other application, or will
>it just take the first available one?

I am not sure what you are implying by the term "handle gracefully", but if you
have more than one application associated with a specific mime-type, the
first application is used if you do not specifically use kbind.* in
kdebase/kfm to select which application it should be used.  Please look at
kdebase/kfm/kbind.*  You might also want to check kmimemagic.*

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dawit A.