List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror components
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-02-17 8:15:36

Teodor Romeo Mihai wrote:
> There is
> nothing wrong about thinking of the future - as long as we have a steady
> present. A real desktop environment is made with good applications,
> which we don't quite have, and they require good libraries and good
> documentation. You can't make the things perfect, but nobody asks that.
> What you can do is provide a base, before thinking too hard about the
> next kfm. I know it's more exciting  to decide the next features of the
> version 1.1 rather than writing the help for 1.0, but it's up to you to
> decide which one is the mature choice.

We're not here to provide the base. The base is Qt, kdelibs , CORBA and
openparts. We are here to make KFM a mature product for when we reach
KDE
2.0 and at this moment that requires well thought out design. Features
like
clipboards are nice but not under discussion at the moment. They will be
made
when Qt offers us the base technology. We are not in a hurry of any
kind, so
we can afford to wait with it till Qt has this ready, which will be
quite soon
anyway.

(Don't get me wrong, feel free to discuss how a clipboard should work,
but
the idea is that we wait with actually making it till Qt2.0 is ready.
Since
most people seem to agree on how a clipboard should work, this is not a
big
issue. Note also that "how a clipboard should work" is very different
from
how it works in todays KFM, which could be best described as "not")

Documentation is very usefull as well, therefor it's very important to
write
about the new design of KFM so that we can include these documents with
the
source. Documenting how KDF worked in KDE 1.0/1.1 is of little use,
since it
is going to change anyway.

Cheers,
Waldo