On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote: >Teodor Romeo Mihai wrote: >> Well, I've been working for a few months now on a Outloook-clone for >> KDE, handling mail/contacts/schedule/journal/notes/groups. It is a bit >> different from all KDE applications I've seen, being very close to >> Outlook in look&feel rather than KMail - which I find unusable. >> If you are seriously planning to put mail in kfm, maybe you should >> consider some kind of integration with an external mailer, in >> Explorer/Outlook style. > >I'm serious about integrating mail-viewing in Konqueror. (User point of >view). > >I think it is a very bad idea to put mail-reading code in Konqueror/kfm >(Developers point of view). > >Konqueror should be able to display mail/mailboxes by embedding a mail- >viewer. This mail-viewer should (in the case of a mail-viewer) be a >seperate application from a developers point of view, but should >integrate >seemless with Konqueror from the user point of view. This application >can be kmail, a light version of kmail, or any other application that >can display >mails and supports this embedded KFM-view idea. > >The technology to embed the mail-viewer should be something CORBA based. >Most likely KOM/Openparts. (Simon, is this correct?) > >It should also be possible to make this Outlook-thing (does it have a >name?) >integrate with Konqueror in the same way. > >I am not sure what outlook is. But I have the feeling that Outlook is >the kind >of program that wants to do everything itself, and as result, does >everything >very poorly. (like Netscape Communicator which I use to write this mail, >correct me if I am wrong) > >Konqueror should do it better and the Unix way: Have speciliazed >components >which are very good in their task. Konqueror provides the seemless >integration >of them and provides easy navigation abilities. I just fully agree in _every_ part of this mail. Ciao Simon >Cheers, >Waldo >-- >KDE, Making The Future of Computing Available Today >http://www.kde.org -- Simon Hausmann - Tronical^Colorfast - - IRCNet #colorfast we have joy, we have fun, we have linux on our sun