List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror components (was Re: konqueror issues)
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-02-16 12:41:45

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, David Faure wrote:
>A second-thought comment on the design below :
>
>IconView, TreeView, HTMLView can't inherit from KfmView directly, because
>we want to be able to switch between those 3 kinds of view.
>You can't transform an IconView instance into a TreeView instance.
>Or is there a way ?

No, that was a really misleading waste of namespace by me ;)
I mean the IDL KfmView interface (not the current KfmView class) as common
parent interface for all possible view types.

>So a view has to be a general view of an URL, and it has a ViewContents object
>(had to find a name), which can be IconView, TreeView, or HTMLView.
>Or it can have the four of them (there are two icon modes), just like
>KfmView currently has. The only difference would be that IconView, TreeView
>and HTMLView would inherit from a common interface, called
>e.g. ViewContents (please come up with a better name !)

Ah, well, that's another idea.
In contrary to this I thought of views as even more separate components, not of
a KfmView (like the _current_ class) containing ViewContent objects and
displaying them (well, the name isn't that bad :) but instead of views as
completely independend objects which inherit from an KfmView interface to
provide a common kind of API to access a view.
(this way it'd be possible for apps to create their own kfm views and "add"
them to konqueror (here as KfmMainView) . For example KMail might provide a
kmail-kfm-view to process mails "inside" konqueror when browsing the web)
In addition I think we might add a fourth (fifth?) part kfm view which does
nothing else than embedding other apps parts (for apps not wanting to "use" a
common kfmview parent interface) .

--
Simon Hausmann - Tronical^Colorfast - <tronical@gmx.net> - IRCNet #colorfast

we have joy, we have fun, we have linux on our sun