List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror issues
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () insa-lyon ! fr>
Date:       1999-02-14 19:38:38

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 07:29:37PM +0100, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Michael Reiher wrote:
> >Simon Hausmann wrote:

> >> IMHO the other two ideas represent a more "open" konqueror:
> >> Idea number two is perhaps the most open one, because all view-mode are from
> >> each other independend components with their own interface. But of course it's
> >> still possible to access konqueror through the all-in-one interface of kfmgui
> >> (which will be extended in the future) .
> >> The only difference of idea number three to number two is the fact that there's
> >> no more this all-in-one interface.
> >>
> >> Anyway, perhaps idea number two is the best one, since it provides us an
> >> extremly componentificated (read: flexible) konqueror as well as the
> >> easier-to-use-all-in-one konqueror (I'm not thinking from the users point of
> >> view but of the developers/apps point of view which wants to "remotely" make
> >> use of konqueror) .
> >Does this mean that a foreign application can either embed only a
> >special selection of the available views or via kfmgui all-in-one? So
> >kfmgui is somehow another layer between the views and the KfmMainWindow?
> >Then my favorite would also be solution 2.
>
> Exactly!

That's a very good thing, then. We want other apps to be able to embed
either one view or all of them...

> KfmGui as layer would contain all the panner-stuff you're currently discussing
> about and some general menus. (did I forgot anything?)
>
> But this brings me to another point: What could possible view-related menus
> contain? What for example could be html-view related menu entries?
>
> Putting it in other words:
> How should the menus for
>  a) kfmgui
>  b) the specific views
> look like?

a) : everything in the current konqueror (plus some items in the Options
menu that were in kfm II), except b) below   :)

b) : The current View menu, with "Split window" removed, of course.
It's the only menu that contain View-specific stuff (view mode, html mode,
show dot files, ...)

The problem is that if you embed a kfmview in another app, you might want
to be able to access the menuitems currently found in most other menus (File,
Edit, Bookmark). I don't remember how it works for KOffice. How are the
file / edit / help / ... menus merged ?
Does the app shows the menus of the embedded app only ?

> I agree!
> Although it's probably the "hardest" solution (in regard to the amount of
> work) I think this will give us the most powerful konqueror in this point of
> view.
Right.

> >How does KOffice handle that?
>
> I'm not quite sure if I understood your question right, but if you mean the
> problem in regard to the persistent menus combined with kind of sub-views:
> there's no such problem, because there are no such views, .......yet ;-)

|  David FAURE                                                       |
|  E-mail : David.Faure@insa-lyon.fr, faure@kde.org                  |
|  http://www.insa-lyon.fr/People/AEDI/dfaure/index.html             |