List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror issues
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-02-14 15:35:22

Simon Hausmann wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, rupert THURNER wrote:
> >if the first one is easier to implement, what are the advantages of the
> >other two?
>
> IMHO the other two ideas represent a more "open" konqueror:
> Idea number two is perhaps the most open one, because all view-mode are from
> each other independend components with their own interface. But of course it's
> still possible to access konqueror through the all-in-one interface of kfmgui
> (which will be extended in the future) .
> The only difference of idea number three to number two is the fact that there's
> no more this all-in-one interface.
>
> Anyway, perhaps idea number two is the best one, since it provides us an
> extremly componentificated (read: flexible) konqueror as well as the
> easier-to-use-all-in-one konqueror (I'm not thinking from the users point of
> view but of the developers/apps point of view which wants to "remotely" make
> use of konqueror) .
Does this mean that a foreign application can either embed only a
special selection of the available views or via kfmgui all-in-one? So
kfmgui is somehow another layer between the views and the KfmMainWindow?
Then my favorite would also be solution 2.

> Now I wonder whether we
>
> a) should "never change a running system" :-) and stay with idea number one
> (=the current way)
>
> b) should think about implementing persistent menus (I think it's more a
> question of design than the implementation itself. Torben, what do you think?
> (as being the man-behind-the-kom/openparts-scene :-)
>
> c) think about an alternative?
>
> What do all the currently-busy-with-kmultipanner-things-guys think? :-))

If I understood everything right I would prefer b). IMHO we shouldn´t
start already at the beginning with messing around with half solutions
and we are not in a hurry but have a lot of time.
How does KOffice handle that?

> Regards,
>  Simon

Michael

BTW: Thanks for your explanations! I first have to digest that all. But
when I´m done be prepared for more questions:)

--
Michael Reiher
     Student at Dresden University of Technology