List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: kdebase/konqueror
From:       rupert THURNER <rthurner () edu ! uni-klu ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-02-13 17:02:44

hmm .... interesting proposition .... how would you like to handle
	1. command keys (to copy/.... files)
	2. consistent behaviour on the desktop

let me explain a little what i mean:

ad 1.
i like on norton commander:
a) that you can do things with keys, eg copy
   from one window to the other.
   if you have more than 2 splitters,
   how the behaviour would be?
b) the two windows come up together

ad 2.
the proposed behaviour resembles the oberon style of handling windows,
where niklas wirth said that overlapping windows are not necessary. so
oberon inplemented something like "splitting" the screen, as described
below "splitting" the window.

by contrary, on kde/X we do have windows, overlapping ones. could it
be,that with using "split" in the way described below, that:
- there would be two philosophies, and
- something complicated is introduced which
  is not necessary?

the behaviour resembles also a little bit the (x)emacs way of handling
windows and frames and the problems arising there ....

or put in other words, would it be possible, easier, and sufficient to
have:
a) some mechanism to "glue" windows together,
   so they come up together (on the desktop,
   or in a MDI)?
b) or have a standard MDI, with maximizing
   and arranging windows in special ways,
   like tiling, etc.?

so you would have standard windows functions for the different windows,
and an arbitrary number of windows. granted, the control via key problem
is not solved too.

please don't get me wrong, i'm not against splitting, i could not
imagine a mail application without tree-view, text-view, and
header-view, which i can arrange as i want. in contrary, i'm sure if its
well done it helps a lot in keeping the desktop well organized.

rupert.