List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt for Mozilla?
From:       Simon Hausmann <tronical () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-02-12 16:02:01

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>Andrew Morton wrote:
>> > I also thought about hacking NGLayout into kfm:) But first only
>> > for my own interest, to see how hard it is.
>>
>> Not too hard, but it'd take a concerted change of heart for the kfm
>> guys. As would a decision to remove HTML from kfm altogether, which
>> may be the best call...
>
>For KDE 2.0, the web-browser part of KFM will be split of from the
>file-browser part. The file-browser will not use HTML any more.
>The khtml library will be used for the web-browser part and will
>also be available as a KOM/OpenPart CORBA component for embedding
>in other applications (in the form of kohtml which is derived
>>from khtml).
>
>KOM/Openparts cq. CORBA will still provide a tight interaction
>between the web-browser (Konqueror) and the file-browser (KFM).

I don't want to interfere in your discussion :) but this it not really true:
Konqueror is an embeddable file/web browser, no matter whether you view html or
directories, it still remains embeddable as part, so there's not split at all.
(and Konqueror uses khtml, of course)

KoHTML (using khtml) depends on KOffice. The main difference between the
embeddable konqueror (in regard of viewing html) and KoHTML is the KOffice
Printing Extension, which makes it possible to embedd KoHTML in KPresenter,
KWord and KIllustrator. With Konqueror this is _not_ possible, because you can't
to add this extension to Konqueror without making konq. depend on libkoffice* ,
which is not our intention :-)

Regards,
 Simon

--
Simon Hausmann - Tronical^Colorfast - <tronical@gmx.net> - IRCNet #colorfast

Life's not fair. But the root password helps. :-)