List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: weird kfm behaviour
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-02-08 8:12:36

Michael Reiher wrote:

> Hello,
>
> just I experienced something strange with KFM. I downloaded and
> extracted the linux-2.2.1.tar.gz and modutils-2.1.121.tar.gz tarballs.
> When I tried to enter them with kfm the gear kept turning and turning
> but nothing happened. Finally, after almost a minute(yes, itīs really a
> long time:) it displayed the content. The only odd I noticed were the
> owner and group names. Something like 411 and 1002. Well, obviously I
> donīt have users/groups with such an ID so it displays the ID.
> But after making "chown root.root linux-2.2.1 -R" KFM was as fast as
> normal.
> Anybody else noticed this?
>
> Michael

This has been reported as a quirk for Linux 2.2. The problem is a
bad configured system. When KFM asks which user belongs to uid 411,
the kernel (?) starts to send out some requests to a domain
authentication host which doesn't exist. It waits for the time out
before returning. Look at some kernel site to find out about details.
I think I read this either on LinuxToday or on KernelTraffic.

The normal tar is also affected by this problem.

Cheers,
Waldo