List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: KFM Url completion patch...]
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-01-27 11:15:00

> > So the idea is good, I think.
> > But it's a bit late.
> > After a pre2 we're supposed to fix real showstoppers
> > (I fixed two segfaults yesterady),
> > not introduce new features, even small ones, that could break
> > something in 1.1
> > Sorry.

You're fully right.

When this gets in after 1.1 I think that having a configure option
to turn this on or off is required as well.

(Longish collection of thoughts about KFM to follow)

My first idea with this was: if we split KFM in a filebrowser and a
webbrowser part we can configure it differently according to which
part we in. The filebrowser should have it turned off by default.
The webbrowser should have it turned on by default.

But then I thought that this would perhaps be somewhat counter-
intuitive: The way a URL is handled should basically not differ
from _where_ it is entered. Depending on the contents of the URL
it can be handled differently of course.

So with this in mind one can describe the *new improved KFM* as:

	     [URL-entry]
              /       \
         WebBrowser   FileBrowser

And while we are at it, we can probably add the HelpBrowser
in this image as well. It should be clear to the user in which
*mode* he is in, but transitions from modes should go smoothly:
clicking a "man:fopen" link on a web-page should change the mode
from web-browser to help-browser and show the help-info just as
was it another web-page. Some fancy options could be made to
allow things like "Open new window when changing mode" /
"Stay in window when changing mode".

These options will of course be overridden by the RMB menu-options
"Open link in this window" and "Open link in new window".

(Longish collection of thoughts about KFM ended)

Cheers,
Waldo