List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: khtmlw bug : black boxes instead of chars
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       1999-01-21 19:40:27

David Faure wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 21, 1999 at 08:58:04PM +0200, Lars Knoll wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, David Faure wrote:
> > >Try
> > >http://www.abcnews.go.com/go/sections/science/DailyNews/interstellar990114.html
> > >
> > >Subject says it all.
> > >
> > >Sorry, the web page is in French.
> > Sure you mentioned the right link? This page looks very much like english too
> > me (and I think I can still differentiate betwen the two languages :-), and is
> > displayed nicely.
>
> Oops, I read so much of English that I don't realize it !!
> The URL is the right one. I just didn't notice it was in English.... !
>
> I have lots of blackboxes in the text itself
> (e.g. the first one is between "Kilston" and "an undergraduate",
> there is a big one after 'to do about it?", two around "hyperspace", ...
> )
> No idea what can cause this...

This relates back to a "bug" report I made on khtmlw a few days ago.  While not
standard ISO-8859-1, Netscape supports the following special codes:

        &#0145;   ' (left single quote)
        &#0146;:  ' (right single quote)
        &#0147;:  " (left double quote)
        &#0148;   " (right double quote)
        &#0151;   - (dash)

The one that is quite common is 146, and I wish khtmlw supported that one at least .
. . the other ones are rarely used AFAIK.  The story you pointed to uses all these
codes liberally.

Regards,

Andreas