List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: KFM:Wishlist for 1.2
From:       Andrew Morton <andrewm () uow ! edu ! au>
Date:       1999-01-19 14:51:30

Hello, kfmers.

KFM is, of course, KDE's most important application.  It is most
responsible for giving users their sense of the usability and usefulness
of KDE.

You folks have done amazingly well and are to be congratulated.

My two cents:

* It could be more configurable in a number of areas.  In general, KFM
hardwires things which should really be optionally scriptable.  For
example, I should be able to get at the command which is used to mount a
device.  I want to be able to use smbmount!  There are a few other
things like this, but I can't remember them off the top...

* KFM's habit of redrawing the entire display of files/icons and
resetting the scroll position when a file is deleted is really
distracting.

* It would be neat if the applications which KFM starts could access the
X cut buffer.  This would allow the user to select a filename in an
arbitrary non-KDE app and click on an app which then does something with
that file.  Poor man's integration.  I guess this can be done with `xcb
-p 0`.

* I'm sure this has been discussed, but I'm interested in the
conclusion: would it be a good idea to build Gecko (the guts of Mozilla)
into KFM?

* It's sometimes real tricky to click or double-click on a transparent
icon because the mouse pointer can be pointing at a 'hole' in it.  Is it
even possible to make the bounding rectangle the hotspot?

* This has been discussed recently on gnome-list: visual indication that
an app is starting up (the hourglass cursor).  I realise that this is in
some respects "not the Unix way", but surely something can be done?
Even optionally?

* Change the appearance of an icon when it's about to have something
dropped on it.

Finally, would the KFM development team be interested if I were to do
some development?  If so, how to set about this?  What are the priority
items? Something modest to start out with, please.  (I've been doing C
for 15 years, C++ for five - I like to think I'm fairly handy at it).

Regards,
Andrew.