List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Kioslave big patch
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-01-19 10:26:53

David Faure wrote:

> Things are getting complicated.
>
> How can one add a directory, a file, ... to an archive ?
>
> 1) If the archive is compressed (.tar.gz), tar says
> "Cannot update compressed archives".
> Ok, I return KIO_ERROR_NotPossible.
>
> 2) For a normal tar archive (which is less useful than tar.gz, I want you
> to note), adding something needs a temporary directory hierarchy in order
> to create the files :
> Try it on command line, it's really hard ;
>
> -zsh- dfaure 11:17 /tmp>mkdir parent
> -zsh- dfaure 11:20 /tmp>touch parent/afile.txt
> -zsh- dfaure 11:20 /tmp>tar cvf myarchive.tar parent/
> parent/
> parent/afile.txt
> -zsh- dfaure 11:20 /tmp>rm -rf parent
>
> ok, I have a tar archive.
>
> -zsh- dfaure 11:20 /tmp>tar rvf myarchive.tar parent/child/
> tar: Cannot add file parent/child: No such file or directory
>
> I can't add something to it if it doesn't exist in a local subdir first.
>
> -zsh- dfaure 11:21 /tmp>mkdir parent/child/
> mkdir: cannot make directory `parent/child/': No such file or directory
>
> I can't create it easily. The whole hierarchy is needed.
>
> -zsh- dfaure 11:21 /tmp>mkdir parent ; mkdir parent/child/
> -zsh- dfaure 11:21 /tmp>tar rvf myarchive.tar parent/child/
> parent/child/
>
> That's it, it worked.
>
> Now, is kfm supposed to do all this ???
>
> I think I'll let Mkdir return 'not implemented' as it already did !
> Grrrr, lost 2 hours for nothing.

If we want to do things like this, we need to have native tar support.
(I guess something like libtar does exists somewhere...)

Not something for 1.1.

I don't think you want to add 'new features' anymore at this stage of
the 1.1 release. If something is broken we can fix it or take it out.
If something is not there yet... let it be.

After 1.1 we should first move to the 'new kioslaves' whatever they are
and then get the whole design right first (hopefully it is already).

Cheers,
Waldo