List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Hello everyone! :)
From:       Frugal <frugal () fysh ! org>
Date:       1999-01-14 14:13:44

David Faure wrote:

> > > Okey, I suppose I'll start off serious discussion ;) I noticed looking
> > > at the current (1.1 snapshot) source that kfm doesn't seem to have any
> > > facility for loading filesystem types - at least I saw a big switch
> > > statement with strcmp("ftp")'s in it. Am I just confused? If not,
> Yes, the current kfm hardcodes the protocols.
> You can't add a new protocol easily, as you would do with a plugin.
>
> But KFM III is designed to support such a thing (with a corba server).
> I asked about samba protocol, and this was Torben's answer...

> > > I need to present something that looks like a filesystem; the easiest
> > > way to do that would seem to be to provide it through kfm. The alternative
> > > is something which looks like an NFS server ;)
> This would enable support in shells too, which is better...

Hmmm.. What would it take to make a shell know about the KFMIII corba
plugins for file systems. Everything I think I know about file systems,
shells and corba screams 'stupid idea' but the part of me that likes
modularity wants it to happen...

--
Frugal                       + The two secrets to success:
                             +   1- Don't tell anyone everything.