List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: double clicking to launch an application
From:       Aaron Granick <parallax () ucsd ! edu>
Date:       1997-08-10 18:05:20

Still no luck.

I will be as thorough as I can.

I have a file, KEdit.kdelnk in /opt/kde/apps/Applications directory:

[KDE Desktop Entry]
BinaryPattern=kedit;KEdit;
Protocols=file;ftp;http;tar;
MimeType=text/plain;
BinaryPattern = kedit;
Comment=
Exec=kedit %u
TerminalOptions=
Icon=kedit.xpm
Path=
DocPath=kedit.html
Type=Application
Terminal=0
Info=A simple editor

then I have a file /opt/kde/mimetypes/text/plain.kdelnk

[KDE Desktop Entry]
MimeType=text/plain
Comment=Plain Text
DefaultApp=KEdit
Icon=txt.xpm
Type=MimeType
Patterns=README*;INSTALL*;CHANGE*;*.txt;Readme*;

ok so far?

Well...a single (or double click) on a plain text file results in this
debugging output:

######### Click 'file:/home/parallax/README.1ST' target=''
Changing to file:/home/parallax/README.1ST
$$$$$$$$$ Changed to ''
Binding is Open
Testing for KDE Desktop Entry
!!! 'KEdit' vs 'Open'

and, of course, kedit is not launched.

I'm sure I am doing something simple wrong, but you must admit this is a
lot of work just to get a program associated with a filetype....

Is there a way to make these associations without being root? ie, are
there any .kdelnk files that kfm will load that a normal user can edit
so that those of us who dont' run as root can associate files?

I also think a nice feature would be that when you choose open with....
you can click on a box to automatically generate a file association for
that type of file...I know this is the 'windows' way of doing it, but it
works really well imho.  If you are swamped down, I could do it (with
your blessing of course) as soon as I finish up kirc (I now know how you
feel working on a large software project like kfm...the task is
exceedingly complex, and there is no way you can ever get rid of all
bugs)

Aaron