Hi, On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Aaron Granick wrote: > Still no luck. > > I will be as thorough as I can. > > I have a file, KEdit.kdelnk in /opt/kde/apps/Applications directory: > > [KDE Desktop Entry] > BinaryPattern=kedit;KEdit; > Protocols=file;ftp;http;tar; > MimeType=text/plain; > BinaryPattern = kedit; > Comment= > Exec=kedit %u > TerminalOptions= > Icon=kedit.xpm > Path= > DocPath=kedit.html > Type=Application > Terminal=0 > Info=A simple editor > > then I have a file /opt/kde/mimetypes/text/plain.kdelnk > > [KDE Desktop Entry] > MimeType=text/plain > Comment=Plain Text > DefaultApp=KEdit > Icon=txt.xpm > Type=MimeType > Patterns=README*;INSTALL*;CHANGE*;*.txt;Readme*; > > ok so far? Perfect! > Well...a single (or double click) on a plain text file results in this > debugging output: > > ######### Click 'file:/home/parallax/README.1ST' target='' > Changing to file:/home/parallax/README.1ST > $$$$$$$$$ Changed to '' > Binding is Open > Testing for KDE Desktop Entry > !!! 'KEdit' vs 'Open' Hmmm, I think you found a bug. > and, of course, kedit is not launched. > > I'm sure I am doing something simple wrong, but you must admit this is a > lot of work just to get a program associated with a filetype.... Usually this should be done during app installation ( the windows way :-) > Is there a way to make these associations without being root? ie, are > there any .kdelnk files that kfm will load that a normal user can edit > so that those of us who dont' run as root can associate files? > > I also think a nice feature would be that when you choose open with.... > you can click on a box to automatically generate a file association for > that type of file...I know this is the 'windows' way of doing it, but it > works really well imho. If you are swamped down, I could do it (with > your blessing of course) as soon as I finish up kirc (I now know how you > feel working on a large software project like kfm...the task is > exceedingly complex, and there is no way you can ever get rid of all > bugs) automatic file association does only make sense if KFM support mime-types on a per user base ( otherwise the user is not allowed to write ). So we have to wait a bit until this feature will make sense. But it is ofu course a really good idea. Bye Torben > Aaron > >