List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    New toolbar is ready
From:       Sven Radej <a9509961 () unet ! univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       1997-07-18 19:27:02

Hi,

I uploaded newtoolbar-0.5.tgz ti Incoming/
and KFM-place.

This is the functional toolbar. Actually I'm too depressed with
DOC++, so I'll be short. By, the way, documentation generated by
DOC++ is in the Doc/ directory, but it is ugly as hell.

OLD:

New toolbar can have buttons, combo boxes, line inputs and frames.
Items can be right aligned or set autoresize themself to use
all unused space in toolbar. Toolbar can be set to full
parents width, i.e. to adjust its size to parent. Toolbar can
float, an it keeps allways on top (unless you destroy it with
WM - then it disappears, really)

NEW:

Added:
setMaxWidth - if you want to reduce the width of horizontal
              toolbar.
removeItem  - You can remove stop button when not needed,
              for instance, and insert it when you need it.
insertFrame - You can insert frame (that can be autosized,
              or right aligned) get its pointer, so
              you can put KProgres or something in it

Removed:
class KFloater - KToolBar now reparents itself itself
                 when floating
Changed:
updateRects is now public - if you play with size
of inserted frame, or have some good reason to
redraw toolbar.

This toolbar has no problems with floating. It works with
all apps and can be included in libkdeui.so. After that
applications must be recompiled. Those applications who
do not use new features will experience better resizing, and
floating of toolbar. Some apps may have problems with exiting
while toolbar still floats. It is generally a good idead to delete
toolbar before exiting, and not to delete QApplication instance
(or KApp). However in next few days I will write patches for
all problematic authors, and mail them... I mean for problematic
apps, yes, I'll mail them, patches, to authors.

BUGS/PROBLEMS:
Ha! ToolTips: They sometimes do not work when toolbar
floats. Sometimes can mean really everything. Yesterday
they worked all the time, today they don't.

Redrawing: It is a painfull job for floating toolbar
to resize itself without falling into infinite loop. This is done
now. Resize calls will occure 2 times max, except, when toolbar
is exactly as wide as high. Then it happens 5 times.

There might be some small small problems with drawing separators
(in fact not drawing them). If it occures it is fixed on next
resize. Since I couldn't find the reason for that, except
forcing toolbar that doesn't need resize to resize itself,
which would yield in two more resizes, I left it so.

Documentation is really ugly. But Doc++ keeps segfaulting,
and producing rubish. When KDoc is finished I will reproduce
(maybe rewrite, too) and ship it separately.

Oops, I wasn't so short; but I'm still depressed.

Bug reports to me, my-application-segfaults-when-exitings also
to me.

Sven

sven.radej@iname.com
a9509961@unet.univie.ac.at