List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: kfm-0.8.1
From:       weis () stud ! uni-frankfurt ! de
Date:       1997-07-08 8:03:59

Hi,

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> Hi (Torben)!
>
> After finding my(!) problem with kdelibs-dev, I could compile kfm with-
> out big problems.
>
> I would like to congratulate you: the file handling seems to be very
> stable now. I have only minor problems:
>
> 1. Single click on a file does execute it. This is very suprising, if
>  you are not used to it.

Beginners are unable to do double clicks and double clicks are not used
in any brwoser => no more double clicks.

> 2. The file selection rectangle is also very unusual to me. I have real

It was easy to implement this way :-))
I dont know yet how to highlight icons.

>  long filenames in my home directory. kfm breaks them in two lines and
>  it's possible with the rectangle to select only the first line. And
> it's
>  not clear to me, if this file is selected or not.
> 3. The tar modus has problems, I think. Just on the example of

mentioned in the bug list

> kfm-0.8.1.tgz,
>  if you change to the directory "1997 kfm-0.8.1" (very strange name
> btw),
>  there are only README, README~ and kfm in my window. But in real, there
>  are more files in there.
> 4. I think, the floppy is very Linux specific. Under Solaris, you can't
>  mount as a normal user, but you have to use "volcheck" for mounting
>  and "eject" for unmounting. (SparcStations doesn't have an eject
> button!)
>  And of course you can't mount the floppy as "minix", if you're root.
>  Perhaps if it's possible to make the mounting stuff in kfm more
> flexible,
>  I can implement the stuff for Solaris.

What do you need ?

> OK, as you see, I have only very little problems and I'm sure, kfm II is
> much more stable than kfm I. Again: Congratulations to the great work.

Thanks :-))

Much of the new IO code is from the other Stefan. It works quite good!

Bye
Torben