List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Should these bugs be fixed?
From:       Aaron Granick <parallax () ucsd ! edu>
Date:       1997-06-01 19:57:36

<HTML>

<P>In using kfm, I&nbsp;have come across the following bugs, and I&nbsp;would
just like to make sure that they are generally observed bugs (and not my
own stupidity or bad version) that is causing them.

<P>1) No luck with associating certain filetypes with an icon/application
<BR>2) Double clicking on a file does not seem to open the application
associated with it (perhaps I&nbsp;am doing it wrong)
<BR>3) that thing with the scrollbar still there
<BR>4) no 'Add bookmark' option under the Bookmark menu
<BR>5) version under help|about says 6.6
<BR>

<P>Things I think should be added or changed (comments welcome)
<BR>1) command line parameters (I am already working on this one)
<BR>2) ability to arrange icons in the window (by name, date, whatever...also
to show all dirs before files)
<BR>3) ability to make icons smaller (like a 'zoom out' feature 50x50 makes
a big icon)
<BR>4) perhaps the ability to integrate a terminal line at the bottom,
so that the user can type 'cd /usr/local/kde' and the kfm window will automatically
change to that location. (Perhaps the kvt widget could be used here).&nbsp;
This way 'power users' can have the best of both worlds and navigate by
typing, but can still take advantage of drag and drop, file association,
and cool looks.
<BR>5) When the user right clicks on a file and chooses open with.... there
should be an option to check 'Always use this program to open this type
of file' and it will automatically generate a file association.&nbsp; Likewise,
file associations should be editable via a menu in kfm (I really like the
kdelnk properties dialog...that is very handy and easier than using vi
or pico to edit the kdelnk file).&nbsp; We may have a problem because the
filetypes folder is not user writable...This is a typical problem of KDE
(the apps folder is also in a global location...perhaps this is something
that should be addressed in the main list).

<P>These are the most important things as I see it.

<P>Comments?

<P>Aaron
<UL></UL>
</HTML>