List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Gotta get this thing to work
From:       Aaron Granick <parallax () ucsd ! edu>
Date:       1997-05-28 18:23:37

Please, Torben, don't get upset...this isn't a bug report...I'm just
having problems getting kfm 7.4 to work.  I would like suggestions on
how to get it running so that I can start taking an educated look at the
source code and getting to work.

Here are the steps I followed:

got the kfm7.4.tgz

started with a fresh install of kdeapps970528 and kdelibs 970524

Much sweating involved in getting khtmlw-0.7.0 compiled, installed
(didn't have a Makefile.in, go figure).

After installing khtmlw (make install), notice that kfm 6.6
no longer works...no big deal.

Attempt to compile the new kfm...had to change two header files,
kmsgwin.h and krenamewin.h because they still had references to
<kpixmap.h>

kfm compiled succesfully.

did 'make install' this, i assume should overwrite my existing kfm.

ran kfm.  First it gave me a prompt saying 'creating directory
/usr/local/kde/mimetypes'  This, of course is impossible since I'm not
root.  Anyways...

kfm now crashes on any button press or menu option, and help-about says
'kfm 6.6' (it also looks like kfm6.6..I don't know if it should look